- 1 How do you know if a rental property is legit?
- 2 How do I make sure I am not scammed on Craigslist?
- 3 How can you tell a rental scammer?
- 4 Can you get scammed on apartments com?
- 5 Should I show my phone number on Craigslist?
- 6 What is the safest way to accept payment on Craigslist?
- 7 How do I protect myself from selling on Craigslist?
- 8 How do I avoid getting scammed for an apartment?
- 9 Is renting a waste of money?
- 10 How can you tell fake apartment reviews?
- 11 Can anyone post on apartments com?
How do you know if a rental property is legit?
Check Public Ownership Records Search the records for the address of the rental property to find out if the landlord is listed as the owner. If the names don’t match, contact the legal owner and ask if she knows the person purporting to be the landlord.
How do I make sure I am not scammed on Craigslist?
6 WAYS TO AVOID GETTING SCAMMED ON CRAIGSLIST
- Deal locally. It’s always safest to finalize a transaction in person.
- Examine the product before finalizing a sale. Don’t rely on pictures alone when buying something on Craigslist.
- Don’t accept or send a cashier’s check, certified check or money order as payment.
- Use cash — safely.
- Don’t share your personal information.
How can you tell a rental scammer?
How Can You Tell If a Rental Property Listing Is a Scam?
- They Don’t Want to Meet You in Person.
- They Want You to Move in Immediately, Without Ever Seeing the Property.
- They Ask for Rent or a Security Deposit Before Signing a Lease.
- The Price is Too Good.
- The Listing Has Typos, Poor Grammar, or Excessive Punctuation.
Can you get scammed on apartments com?
Scammers may impersonate Apartments.com or Apartment Finder to make it seem like we participate in the lease transaction or transfer of funds. We do not participate in any transactions between landlords and renters, and we will never ask you for money to use our site or any of our services.
Should I show my phone number on Craigslist?
But you should also be cautious of sharing your phone number on Craigslist! Automated phishing tools can easily collect your number, and scammers search specifically for this kind of information. That person can now use your phone number to harass you, and if your number is a landline, they can even locate you.
What is the safest way to accept payment on Craigslist?
Pay in cash, never wire money. Never wire money or ask your buyer to wire money. That’s the number one rule when buying and selling on Craigslist. When you meet with a seller, they’ll likely ask for cash.
How do I protect myself from selling on Craigslist?
For more Craigslist online safety tips, visit the service’s Avoiding Scams page.
- Never Use Your Real Email Address.
- Shop Locally When Possible.
- Meet in a Public Place and Don’t Go Alone.
- Never Give out Any Personal or Financial Information.
- Avoid Using Money-Wiring Services.
How do I avoid getting scammed for an apartment?
Tips to Avoid Being Scammed When Apartment Hunting
- Dealing In Cash Is A Bad Start.
- Never Rent Without Having A Look At The Actual Place.
- Always Sign A Written Lease.
- Identify The Owner Of The Property.
- Make Sure Your Lease Identifies The Owner As Well.
- Sub-leasing Is Not A Great Idea.
- Meet Your Landlord In Person.
Is renting a waste of money?
No, renting is not a waste of money. Rather, you are paying for a place to live, which is anything but wasteful. Additionally, as a renter, you are not responsible for many of the costly expenses associated with home ownership. Therefore, in many cases, it is actually smarter to rent than buy.
How can you tell fake apartment reviews?
Inflammatory language about pests or terrible conditions is common among fake reviews. These reviews are often vague, playing on the reader’s emotions rather than presenting the facts. Last, check multiple review sites. If you read lots of reviews that use very similar language, you may have cause for suspicion.
Can anyone post on apartments com?
Listing your rental is 100% free, with absolutely no cost for you. Whether your rental is a house, condo, townhome, or apartment, you can easily find a qualified renter by listing on Apartments. com.